PDA

View Full Version : If....

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
you were given 6mos paid off work and a studio in your crib with an engineer...would you be capable of making a hip hop classic?

be real

BLNK
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
No........

GRizzEAT
08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Ikno i cud, but tha promotion wud have to take place out side of Detroit.

Teek
08-30-2012, 02:58 PM
No...which is why I don't even try

I know a few round here could though.

Óðinn
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
a Hip Hop Classic? i dont know about a classic (it's be my first album).... but an album that would compete with todays ish? yeah i'm confident with 6months in a studio i could manage it....

Murderous Swag
08-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Honestly as it stands right now yes i feel id fully be capable to EASILY compete with todays hiphop/rap society with the better production.Making a classic i feel with the time off work i could devote most if not all my time to the record so Im going to have to say yea i believe i could

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
to clarify...you dont need to sell millions of copies..just have the product be generally accepted as a hip hop classic..(IE. Illmatic, The Blueprint, The Fix, Ready to Die)

IV
08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
AfterThought could, afterthought can do anything, afterthought could be better than Pac.

AfterThoughtNumber1FanSwag

Phil Banks
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
personally I think shit like this like nas's illmatic or luda's first joint alot of classics... they dope coz shit wasn't perfect ya know? I think if I sat down with the thought of dropping a classic album it'd turn out like Budden's first cd or Jadakiss's like trying to do to much in one album...

So naw I think if I was just inspired to write an album for whatever reason it would turn out 10x better then if I was given cash an a studio an engineer dunno would almost feel manufactured

Student
08-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I Could Do It :D

Phil Banks
08-30-2012, 03:28 PM
you cant force the magic yo

Murderous Swag
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
All that yo and a few lbs of some haze son enough blunts to keep u content and let the weed enhance your music....#certified classic#

Student
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
you cant force the magic yo

I've Got The Magic, I'd Just Need The TIME.

FreezyCT
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM
considering something a classic is stirctly an opinion...and typically opinions arent made of the unknown...youd need more than that

Revan
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd have a good go put it that way lol

Student
08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd LOVE To Get In The Booth For An Hour And Having It Paid For 6 Months? Smh. #OVERKILL

FreezyCT
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
student, lets be real...you wouldnt go anywhere near a booth with that phoenix-whisper/verity-bedtime-story hybrid flow

IV
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
student, lets be real...you wouldnt go anywhere near a booth with that phoenix-whisper/verity-bedtime-story hybrid flow

Well that was rude.

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 03:49 PM
damn....that was harsh lol

FreezyCT
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
im sorry, let me tip-toe around feelings

IV
08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I was joking lol

Óðinn
08-30-2012, 04:23 PM
im sorry, let me tip-toe around feelings

^Sig worthy....:high:

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
now hold on....

J u s T C
08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Only 1 Englishman has managed to make a hip hop classic and that was Slick Rick.

So no.

In Britain maybe. But not stateside.

AfterThought
08-30-2012, 05:17 PM
AfterThought could, afterthought can do anything, afterthought could be better than Pac.

AfterThoughtNumber1FanSwag

My fans speak for me, Krhyme Killz.

Lol, nah, but what is really the definition of a Hip Hop classic these days? Hip hop classics we know, were made when the whole Hip Hop society knew Hip Hop. I could throw on a Rakim-like beat on, spit the realest verses on there but nobody would fuck wit it, because people like Drake & Lil B for basically creatin a new category of Hip Hop that's reinventing the meaning of good music.

Óðinn
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Lol, nah, but what is really the definition of a Hip Hop classic these days? Hip hop classics we know, were made when the whole Hip Hop society knew Hip Hop. I could throw on a Rakim-like beat on, spit the realest verses on there but nobody would fuck wit it, because people like Drake & Lil B for basically creatin a new category of Hip Hop that's reinventing the meaning of good music.

^That a good point. But see with 6months to create an album.

I'd go with proper bars touching on real subjects but i'd use a few 'dance type beats' like they ALL doing know....an have them dumb bitches in the clubs quoting your bars while half of them wouldn't even get it....the other half would.

Thats the best way to go around it tbh....have them beats for the dumb people who only wanna hear the beat nothing else.....while laying proper bars over them for the people who wanna hear proper ish.

Simple :high:

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Two birds, One stone an all that jazz.

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 06:59 PM

i dont know...the same could be said about Hammer and Puff and other 'pop' rap stars back then too....but there was still Rakim Allah, and Kool G Rap that were relevant...i think its less about the whack rappers and more about the vacuum of real rappers with a story to tell.

Murderous Swag
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
^I agree with this guy he has a valid point

Óðinn
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah Krhyme Killz that true yO.... :high:

Krhyme Killz
08-30-2012, 07:40 PM
which means that its not on them....its on you to make the classic.

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
look at it this way - how is the situation K presented any different from any other artist we listen to on a regular basis...time off from work to do music is equivalent to getting paid to do music - music is your main focus....and how many classics do we have today?

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

its not as simple as just having the time

Krhyme Killz
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
idk Freezy...i think alot of artists dont get to just chill and make an album, they have to gig, do mixtapes, promotion etc...unless you a really big artist music can become work

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 12:00 PM
i agree, and its not always up to you what makes the cut, what doesnt, what gets pushed, ect..and youre right, promo, touring, appearances will take a tole on you

but im going to argue that all of that is necessary to create a classic...goes back to my original post - a classic is strictly an opinion shared by alot of people, but if you cant create the opinions, you wont create the classic

your nextdoor neighbor may be the GREATEST rapper youve ever heard - mainstream, underground, anything...but if youre the only person who knows about his talent, is he really the greatest?

Óðinn
08-31-2012, 12:04 PM
your nextdoor neighbor may be the GREATEST rapper youve ever heard - mainstream, underground, anything...but if youre the only person who knows about his talent, is he really the greatest?

Preach!!!! lool.... Boy speaks the truth.... :high:

SH1T L0RD
08-31-2012, 12:17 PM
no, but i'd make a pretty cool album

i think you all gotta lower your expectations
anyone going in there trying to recreate a classic will end up with a hot mess. the only reason those albums are classics is because they were so innovative for their time. and pure luck of the perfect storm of money ,music, hype, collaboration, and all the rest

and don't take for granted the influence your everyday life has on writing lyrics and creating powerful performances. i bet 6 months of only making music would create writer's block and a forced ass album of 90% irrelevant punchlines

Krhyme Killz
08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
i agree, and its not always up to you what makes the cut, what doesnt, what gets pushed, ect..and youre right, promo, touring, appearances will take a tole on you

but im going to argue that all of that is necessary to create a classic...goes back to my original post - a classic is strictly an opinion shared by alot of people, but if you cant create the opinions, you wont create the classic

in a word..yes.

i mean its not about how many people hear you...its about how many other people the person making the claim that someone is great has heard.

ex: if i was the only person to ever hear Illmatic, i'd call NaS the greatest. but if someone who never heard anyone else rap heard it and called it the greatest..they couldnt make that claim..

its not the amount of people hearing it...its the qualification of the person making the claim

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
how tho...

Krhyme Killz
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
sorry..i edited my elaboration lol

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
ok i can see that...credibility is alot

but its still only one person thats heard you...and unless that person is someone significant in the music industry, his opinion is no different than mine or yours...its different for you to create something and consider it a classic verses someone else considering your work a classic...which are we shooting for with your original post - self satisfaction or the other

SH1T L0RD
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
no single persons opinion of your music matters

you know if you made a hot track or not

Krhyme Killz
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
this is bordering on philosophical now lol....but i see what you mean tho Freezy...i'm not taking consensus into account.

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
the only reason i brought all that into play is bc of this scenario

how many times have you done a track that you loved...you thought hands-down that was the best track youve done, and everyone is going to love it...maybe borderline classic in your eyes?...then someone comes around and says, 'ya thats good and all, but i like your other track from last week better'...which is a different track that you didnt work as much with, didnt put as much effort/emotion into

PurFekShun
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Yea i think if i had da time to put my full energy into rappin and i got a great engineer and wit some good production i could easily make a classic album cuz my style is so versatile i could make all different kinda mafuckas feel my shit.. like 2FUEL said u do some joints dat just real hiphop on some soulful nice beats touchin subjects of da everyday type life of da people and some bouncy club shit dat u know all da young people and dumb people and clubbers gonna like u make catchy hooks and get lyrical in da verses throwin in a few catch phrases and slogans dat u know are popular in da hoods and it can possibly be a classic...

FreezyCT
08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
then why not stretch it over the course of a year, and still do that

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

yall are making it seem like all you need is the free time

Óðinn
08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
lool nah you need more than free time. For me...to give a track my Full attention i've to write/create that project when i'm still in the mind frame of the emotion i'm going through/trying to portray in the track.....i mean anyoone can write a track with emotion/based on emotion...but for others to really feel it, you've gotta feel it yourself/be real to yourself first.

All depends really.

Like a hype/random bars/punchlin track we can all do...they the easiest to be done (imo) :high:

to make a classic it's to have a mixture between nice beats...hype tracks...real tracks...dope MC skills as well as dope bars.

A classic (to me) is something that first 2-3 wk's you have 2 fave songs on the album...next 2-3 wk's you alter an have 2 diff faves on the album n so on n so on...

PurFekShun
08-31-2012, 01:17 PM
u do actually need more time cuz u gotta build da buzz up too.. and u prolly gonna wanna take ur time on the songs too.. i usually take a couple days workin on my songs and not forcin ideas to come cuz if u rush shit its just gonna be mediocore at best

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

lool nah you need more than free time. For me...to give a track my Full attention i've to write/create that project when i'm still in the mind frame of the emotion i'm going through/trying to portray in the track.....i mean anyoone can write a track with emotion/based on emotion...but for others to really feel it, you've gotta feel it yourself/be real to yourself first.

All depends really.

Like a hype/random bars/punchlin track we can all do...they the easiest to be done (imo) :high:

to make a classic it's to have a mixture between nice beats...hype tracks...real tracks...dope MC skills as well as dope bars.

A classic (to me) is something that first 2-3 wk's you have 2 fave songs on the album...next 2-3 wk's you alter an have 2 diff faves on the album n so on n so on...

thats exactly how dat reasonable doubt was for me man

Óðinn
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
^^True...but a few famous artists rushed a few albums for record sales.

I mean they all say (in all genre's) you've your whole life to write your first album...it's the second one that counts

PurFekShun
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
yea da second one really counts too cuz it lets mafuckas know "ok dude not a fluke he got hot shit all da time he consistant" but i feel like yo second one doesnt have to be hotter den ur first one as long as its not a flop and its still dope

Óðinn
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
^Yeah...the second one though has to be as good or better...it's can't be any less than your first album...or thats you gone. :high:

Erupt da Monsta
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
nah, a classick is sayin alot man, i think i could make a album that would get me signed tho

GOOD GRIEF
08-31-2012, 07:15 PM
^That a good point. But see with 6months to create an album.

I'd go with proper bars touching on real subjects but i'd use a few 'dance type beats' like they ALL doing know....an have them dumb bitches in the clubs quoting your bars while half of them wouldn't even get it....the other half would.

Thats the best way to go around it tbh....have them beats for the dumb people who only wanna hear the beat nothing else.....while laying proper bars over them for the people who wanna hear proper ish.

Simple :high:

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Two birds, One stone an all that jazz.

naw. people want stupid shit thats catchy and easy to memorize. if you can do both than you straight. for instance... Kanye West's "Gold Digger"... if you listened you'd know that the lyrics were about guys who only go for fine bitches and bitches who only like money.. thats real shit but at the same time folks were dancin and shit to it. depends, you could be an Underground sensation or try to dumb down ya shit a LITTLE bit to break in the masses. but like was mentioned earlier its easier to have stupid ignorant songs on the radio and real tracks on the album.

Student
08-31-2012, 09:50 PM
naw. people want stupid shit thats catchy and easy to memorize. if you can do both than you straight. for instance... Kanye West's "Gold Digger"... if you listened you'd know that the lyrics were about guys who only go for fine bitches and bitches who only like money.. thats real shit but at the same time folks were dancin and shit to it. depends, you could be an Underground sensation or try to dumb down ya shit a LITTLE bit to break in the masses. but like was mentioned earlier its easier to have stupid ignorant songs on the radio and real tracks on the album.
Exactly And Childish Gambino Is DOPE :pimp:

Rican
12-12-2019, 04:06 PM
I would be able to. 6 months is enough time.