PDA

View Full Version : Question

Krhyme Killz
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
When you listen to a track are you looking to hear punchlines?

FreezyCT
02-07-2012, 09:42 AM
im big on lyrics - how well put together is the verse..any filler..does it seem like the artist put down the first thing that came to their head

im also big on presence...that will make or break a song completely

BLNK
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I've never written an actual, song before. It's a little tough for me.

The Kid Eddie T
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
before i got into mixing. i would. but now i listen to everything. lyrics. pnbs. breaths, sibilance, tone. production, distortion. so many factors when creating a hit track.

V3numb
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
When you listen to a track are you looking to hear punchlines?

overall thang incorporated with decently to nice flow.. punches are punches and beats are beats.. but if flowed together nicely you'd get a masterpiece

Erupt da Monsta
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
punches smunches..... i look for delivery of the verse... how well thought out each line was... if you would have caught me sayyyy 6 months ago.. i would be all about hip hop... old school ish.. but theres alot of new school cats that make some bangers, shit u can ride out too. i look for a dope beat, a metaphor here or there wouldnt hurt....

all in all i listen for swag, delivery, flow..

BLNK
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
http://hulkshare.com/9fr7lhcvfsy7/1997_feat_Jack.mp3

Student
02-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Lmfao No, You Don't Need Punchlines Unless It's A Diss Song.

Anonymous Poet
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
nope. Just clever lyrics that have some content.

Flow, Delivery and good lyricism.

Fuck punchlines on tracks

Revan
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
I guess the easiest way to explain my answer is this...

When i heard David Guetta Ft Snoop Dogg (Sweat), after i heard the song all the way thru for the first time, all i could remember was "wake me up like im late for the first class so i can give it to you rough like a first draft".

I think all good songs should have one or two quotables. Just good flow alone isnt enough for me, because theres soo much of that out there.

I dunno lol..

Lizman
02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Depends
On Alotta Things

Óðinn
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
in extreme moderation
too many punchlines screams amateur to me
clever punchlines are definitely effective in small doses at the right time though

^Agree....

All songs are different, and dont need 'punchlines' (unless a diss track) to 'show' lyrical abilities. i look for an Artist's Flow, Delivery & Clever Metaphor's.... And some clever metaphor's delivered with a nice Multi Scheme always makes my ear excited...

NOBLE
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
It depends mostly on who I'm listening to and what the song is about. If I'm listening to someone like Common or Mos Def, they don't need a punchline as long as their message is on point. If I'm listening to someone like Papoose or Cassidy rapping the usual bravado-filled "I'm the shit and no one can fuck with me" type of rap, I would be thoroughly disappointed if I didn't hear one good punchline.