PDA

View Full Version : Music Promotion Checklist *** Part 1 **

Shook Beats
11-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Phone|Text 804-503-9554
Email| Shookbeatz@gmail.com

I’m a 30 year old producer who has been in this online beat selling game now for going on 5 years. This particular business has now become a lifestyle for me that’s allowed me to do a lot of different things as far a finances are concerned. Most of all though, it’s allowed me to do what I think all artists want to do, and that’s to “GET PAID FOR DOING SOMETHING YOU LOVE”. Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but the online music business has allowed me to make a lot of money marketing my music on and offline. However, I find it very disturbing that most of the artists that buy my beats still don’t grasp the concept of what it means to gain exposure for yourself as an up and coming artist.

My Website www.shookbeats.net

So………

Today I’d like provide you up and coming artists with a simple yet very effective checklist that will allow you to market and promote your music in a way that will have you earning your own monthly income in no time. Now by no means is this some get rich over night way of doing things, but if you’re in artist whose willing to put in a few hours a day to building something that will benefit you one thousand times over in the future then here goes…..

First things first you need a product – Now in this case your product is your music. This is all that you really have to stand on as far as your brand is concerned. It will make or break you just like that. If your music stinks, that’s one less fan that you could have won over that you didn’t due to the fact that your music was poorly record, had no substance, didn’t draw in your listener, etc. So, here’s a rule of thumb for you, if your gut tells you that your music still needs works.

Please, Please, Please, listen to it. Now, for those of you who feel as if they do have what it takes to continue remember this. Having good music is a very big part of being successful in the industry, but marketing and promotion is even bigger.

Have you ever heard a song on the radio and asked yourself “Man what did they do to get that crap on the radio?” Well here’s your answer, they promoted the heck out of it! With marketing budgets way bigger than most up and coming artists, major record labels can pay millions of marketing dollars in order to get songs on the radio that they feel “will make them money” whether the song is really a good song or not. Most of the time the songs are mostly garbage, but that’s what happens when people who really don’t care about the quality of music call the shots within it.
So what can you do to get your songs in a position that you can compete with them?

DEVELOP A WEB PRESENCE
Having a website is one thing, but having an effective website is another. Here are some key things to have in place when setting up an effective website.

#1 Free Downloads – Until you have a few thousand subscribers, I don’t really suggest trying to sell anything to your subscribers. The purpose of your website is to build long lasting relationships with your fans in a way that they will eventually make them want to support your music. So, what better way to build your relationship with your fans then providing your music to them free of charge (just in the beginning).

#2 Manage a Mailing List – Having an Email Opt in Box on your website is a very key aspect in growing your fan base. How else could you notify your fans of new music, shows, updates and more. A hint to getting potential fans to subscribe is this… Offer them something as an incentive, a download of a free album, free tickets to an upcoming show or performance, money, lol! (Just a joke, but it would work.)
Look mailing list are also great to have because they allow you to track your progress. They tell you exactly how many fans you have which you could also show major labels if you ever decide they want to sign you, but trust me, if you build your own list and do it correctly you won’t want to be signed to anyone but yourself. Trust me.

#3 Keep record of every person you come in contact with – You’re gonna come in contact with people from day to day that may or may not be beneficial to you, but you have to still treat everyone the same. Be sure to get names and numbers of every business person you meet, as well as every fan that you come in contact with casually. Use your cell phone as another form of marketing. Send mass text messages everytime you have a new download up on your site.
#4 Be active in Forums and Blog Sites – Just like you’re reading this blog, join other websites and participate in the conversations so that other people can read your thoughts. You’d be suprised at how many people are actually intregued by what you have to say, which could be just enough to get them to become a fan on your website.

# 5 Always Keep Free CD On you At all time – Look, if you want to get your music out there be sure to always have music on you to hand out to people you see in stores, at the gas pumps, your little sisters birthday party, whatever. Also make sure that you let them know that they can get more free downloads at (yourwebsite.com) This is also an excellent way of personalizing yourself with people and who knows. You might just give your cd to an A&R or a manager looking for a new up and coming artists to help promote.

#6 Keep the Cards On You too – Business Cards are ancient technique, but if you have a presentable card with all of your information on it, you’d be amazed at how far it can go. Plus, you’ll need these to take into places that you can’t take a handful of cds.
I hope that in some way these tips will help you to get your music out there and reach more potential fans if music is something you really want to do, I’ll be posting more tips in the near future so please feel free to comment. subscribe, whatever.
Thanks for reading!
Need Beats Now! Check Out www.shookbeats.net